Wednesday, November 24, 2010

IBCLC

Since I know you are all wondering (yea right), here is what is going on in the Partain household.....

My days lately have been all about nursing (as in breastfeeding).  No, I'm not feeding a baby every 2 hours....instead, I am studying to take the test to be a IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) in July.  When I first started out my career as a RD (registered dietitian), I was totally obsessed with everything related to diabetes.  I worked for 4 endocrinologist, so I was ALL about becoming a CDE (Certified Diabetes Educator).  As my career path changed, I became really interested in breastfeeding and everything baby since that is what I do now as a WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) nutritionist.  I decided that I wanted to be a certified lactation consultant.  Is there anything more precious and rewarding then helping a new mom and newborn??  Um, I think not.  A lot of people ask me what you have to do to become a LC.  If you are already a nurse or dietitian, you have to have 1000 working hours (involving breastfeeding) and take a 45 hour course on breastfeeding.  I have my working hours, and I have about 5 more hour courses to complete of the 45.  I will have from now until July to study for the BIG EXAM.  The test is offered only one time per year, so I will have to wait a whole year to take it again if I don't pass. Some people (especially Scott) may think that there is not a lot to know, but the anatomy alone is SO COMPLICATED!!  I work daily with breastfeeding moms, so I think being a LC will definitely help when I'm teaching.  It is already hard for a mom to trust me when she finds out that I don't have children and have never actually breastfed, but they trust their male OB/GYN that have never been pregnant and their MDs that may have never had the same sickness.  I think that way to make myself feel better.  I know experience is the best way to learn, but I'm just going to settle for book smarts for now.

In other more excited news, my SIL, Katie, is having her second baby boy due December 29, 2010.  I can't wait to have a new nephew in just a few more weeks!!  Hopefully, I will be making a Miami trip before too long to see Jackson Morris Patterson.

I would say something about how great I feel and how I haven't been in the hospital in over a month, but I wouldn't want to jinx it.

No comments:

Post a Comment